December 16, 2010 by jrwatson5
This holiday season, give the gift of Writers in the Schools (WITS) and make a difference in the life of a child. In this year’s fragile economy, we need your help more than ever. As schools struggle with less and less, low-income schools, in particular, are unable to afford WITS this year. This means that without your help, many children will not be able to share their stories, strengthen their literacy skills, and learn that their words really matter.
It doesn’t take much to make your gift count. Our partnership with Changing the Present allows you to make your gift in someone’s honor and send them a personalized holiday card or green-friendly e-card. There are several ways to show your support:
- For as little as $4 per student, you can provide matching funds for supplies for one child for a year-long creative writing program. Click here.
- Your $15 gift will help publish the writing of two children. Click here.
- For $30, you can provide matching funds for three students with a field trip to a cultural venue where they will use art to inspire their writing. Click here.
- A $50 donation will give a child WITS for the whole school year. Click here.
- For $150, you can provide student anthologies to an entire classroom. Click here.
- Donate $500, and provide a summer camp scholarship for a low-income child. Click here.
- You can also raise money for WITS just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch.com, purchasing the Blooms anthology on our merchandise page, buying from the WITS Amazon store, or joining the WITS Facebook cause.
The poet W.B. Yeats once stated, “Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire.” The WITS program sends writers into classrooms to get thousands of children and their teachers excited about the pleasure and power of reading and writing. Their motivation fuels the learning process. We hope that you will help us kindle a love of learning. Every child deserves this opportunity. Thank you for your support.