June 28, 2011 by WITS Editor
SAVE THE FROGS is accepting submissions for its annual frog poetry contest. To read winners from the past two years, visit the website.
For inspiration, they provide a haiku written in the 17th century by Basho about frogs and then invite YOU to write one for the 21st century.
The following is straight from their website:
How do I write a Frog Poem?
We welcome any poems that mention frogs, salamanders, newts, toads, caecilians, amphibians, savethefrogs.com, and/or SAVE THE FROGS!
Here are some ideas for your frog poems:
(1) Find out about a particular kind of frog and describe the world from that frog’s point of view.
(2) What if you found the last frogs alive on the planet … What would you do? How would you feel?
(3) Write a poem that makes the reader understand the importance of saving frogs, or one that makes them realize the danger frogs are in.
(4) Write a poem about any of the threats to frogs.
(5) Write a poem about how ridiculously cool frogs are!
(6) Imagine all kinds of brave, extravagant and daring ways in which you could save the frogs. Check out our How to Help page.
Did we mention that there will be prizes? Aside from fame and the admiration of your peers, the Grand Prize Winner and Honorable Mentions may all see their poems featured in a book of Frog Poetry we will produce. Contest winners will also be acknowledged on this website, alongside a copy of their poem. And to top it off:
The Grand Prize Winner will:
(1) Receive $100 CASH (or check!).
(2) Receive $50 worth of “Frog Cash” to be used for any of the cool, environmentally-friendly merchandise in the SAVE THE FROGS! Gift Center.
(3) Become an official judge of next year’s SAVE THE FROGS! Poetry Contest.
(4) Receive frog fame.
Category Winners will:
(1) Win $50 CASH (or check!).
(2) Receive $30 worth of “Frog Cash” to be used for any of the cool, environmentally-friendly merchandise in the SAVE THE FROGS! Gift Center.
Category winners will be chosen from the following categories. Note however that the Grand Prize Winner may be chosen from any category.
(1) 18+ years of age
(2) 13-17 years old
(3) Under 13 age group
(1) Submitted poetry must be your original creation!
(2) Be sure to mention at least one of the following: frogs, salamanders, newts, toads, caecilians, amphibians, savethefrogs.com, and/or SAVE THE FROGS!
(3) You may submit up to two poems. Please always give us the title of each poem. Please do NOT name your poems “Save The Frogs”.
(4) Submission of poetry constitutes your agreement to the Poetry Contest Terms & Conditions. Please read these over, as they describe your rights to the submitted poetry as well as ours.
(5) All entries are to be submitted no later than 11:59pm U.S. Eastern Time on October 15th, 2011. Email submissions must be RECEIVED by October 15th, 2011. Mail-in entries must be POSTMARKED by October 15th, 2011.